"The purpose of our lives is to be happy."
Rousing Rowena is a blog about living a meaningful and happy life. I interview and post articles by musicians, photographers, artists, writers, world travelers and other amazing individuals who just might be living the kind of life that you want to live. These are people who live beyond conventionality, beyond materialism, people who are extraordinary. So how do they do it? Friends, finding out the answer to that question is the purpose of this blog!
One thing I noticed about many of the people that I have interviewed is the happiness that they find in simple things. Be it world traveler Regina Heller who said "Home is what we ourselves make, and what we carry on and within us, and as I’ve found, can indeed be reduced to as small as the purse I take out with me," American Indian Photographer Bucky Harjo who said "There is so much beauty from afar and from very near, when you get down to the ground level, the tiniest of flowers bloom as well," or musician and composer Achim Schreiner who said "Happiness lies in small things. The old lady on the streets, who we lend a hand with her bags, the little boy that we show how to tie his shoes."
I thought to make my own list of simple things that make me happy to share with my readers. I encourage you to comment on this blog, adding simple things that make you happy to the list!
- Getting up early to see the sunrise.
- Saying good morning to everyone I see on my morning walk.
- Walking slowly through the sprinklers watering the sidewalks, instead of around them.
- Enjoying the look of surprise on peoples faces when they see me do that.
- A big bowl of apples on the dining room table.
- The smell of fresh coffee brewing.
- Scratching my cat behind the ears.
- Taking my doggie for a ride in the truck.
- Pealing an orange or a grapefruit, deeply inhaling and relishing in the fragrance then eating it over the sink while the juice runs down my chin.
- Borrowing some of my daughter’s warm vanilla sugar body spray.
- Caving in to the sudden inclination to bake cookies.
- Tucking a flower behind my ear.
- Watching a hummingbird do its thing.
- Singing while working in the garden.
- Riding my bike around the neighborhood, while waving at everyone.
- Listening to the tea kettle whistle.
- Having a nice cup of tea with my daughter.
- Peanut butter and jelly toast for dinner.
- Snuggling with my hubby.
- Breathing in deeply, counting my blessings and smiling.
Again, feel free to comment on this blog and to add your own list of simple happy things. When you post a comment, do not be fooled into thinking you have to have a Google account to do so - just choose one of the other options below the one for creating a Google account - you can post by your name, your own URL or even anonymously! Incidentally, your having taken the time to read my blog and comment are also on my list of simple happy things!