About Rowena

Hello, my name is Ro, and I believe that it is possible for you to turn your ordinary life into an extraordinary life - to find true happiness, while remaining, selfless, mindful and compassionate towards other living beings. Here at my blog, I interview and post articles by musicians, writers, world travelers, humanitarians and other amazing individuals who are doing just that. I also share with you various anecdotes about my own totally awesome existence as a musician, composer, journalist, environmentalist, and compassionati. My hope is to connect with you, enlighten you, inspire you and lead you down the path to true happiness. Compassion is always in fashion and it starts with you loving that most important of people, yourself.


February 5, 2011

Rowena Has Risen - Part IV: The Dawning of the Age of Compassion

I consider compassion to be the basis and supreme support of humankind.   This eminent quality that induces us to love our neighbor, to come to his aid when he is suffering, and to forget ourselves for his sake, is one that only human beings are capable of awakening.  And whenever they do so, they are the first to derive happiness from it - Dalai Lama.

Today I am writing to you about the compassionati.   You will not find the term compassionati in the English dictionary, I came up with it myself.  I like the way it rolls off my tongue.  Its kind of a combination of the words compassion and illumination.  If you find it any other language, consider it synonym or homonyn - whichever is appropriate.  In any event, I have the best of intentions in forging this moniker in honor of all of the selflessly compassionate, intellectually and spiritually enlightened people of this world. People who understand the advantages of having a kind heart and warm disposition towards all other sentient beings, those who practice patience, tolerance and compassion in their daily lives.  Those who use the work of their heart and hands to ease the suffering of others.   Those who spread happiness through their acts of loving kindness.

Compassionati are everywhere, have a variety of occupations, some are politicians, some are street vendors, they come in all shapes and sizes, are young and old, prosperous and poor.  Compassionati are generally deep thinkers, yet for the most part humble in their altruistic concern for the well-being of other sentient beings.   You may not even know when you are in the presence of compassionati, in that they sometimes lurk in the shadows, live along the fringes of society,  appearing and disappearing like Ninjas after performing some random act of kindness.

Ever since my awakening I have experienced an ever growing peace of mind through the practice of patience, tolerance, and compassion - not just towards those I love - but towards all sentient beings, be they friends strangers or even enemies.  The more I put these virtues into practice, the better my relationships with others becomes.  I have a greater connection with the world that surrounds me.   I am more diligent in caring for myself too, in that I have learned that what is best for me, is best for everyone who I come into contact with. 

My aspiration to become compassionati arose after I read several books by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.  In very simple terms he teaches that through personal transformation we can all contribute to the betterment of this world, and that without the basic qualities of love, compassion and kindness we cannot survive.   He has respect for other religions and is not trying to convert us all to Buddhism, and in fact states:
For certain people, Buddhism may simply not be the answer.  Different religions meet different people's needs.  I do not try to convert people to Buddhism.  What I try to explore is how we Buddhists can make a contribution to human society in accordance with our ideas and values.
He has certainly made a very generous contribution to my life, and it is my hope that I can make a small contribution to yours by sharing my thoughts with you.  

I have noted a growing sense of compassion in the world lately, as evidenced by the popularity of bloggers such as Cheryl Maloney of Simple Steps Real Change, and Leo Babauta of Zen Habits.  I am pleased to have connected with them, as well as humanitarians like as Donna Narvaez, and Terry Christopher  who are dedicated to a number of charitable causes.  It seems almost as if this is the dawning of the Age of Compassion and I would like to think of it as suchAll of the above people, as well as others, have inspired me to write more extensively on the subjects of such as friendshippeacealtruism, and forgiveness here in my blog.  Through my growing compassion and caring about our earth and all life on it, I am also inspired to write more on the subjects of global warming, vegetarianism, and the harmful results of deforestation and commercial farming. 

My blog has a tendency to light like a butterfly on a myriad of subjects, although my main focus is on the attainment of true happiness.   I am not trying to convert you into anything, just inviting you to explore  the possibilities of making this a healthier, happier world.  My sole desire, my most compassionate wish,  is that you will find the true happiness that I have found someday, somewhere, somehow.    Won't you join me on my journey in my quest for happiness and enlightenment?


Love,
Ro

No comments: