About Rowena

Hello, my name is Ro, and I believe that it is possible for you to turn your ordinary life into an extraordinary life - to find true happiness, while remaining, selfless, mindful and compassionate towards other living beings. Here at my blog, I interview and post articles by musicians, writers, world travelers, humanitarians and other amazing individuals who are doing just that. I also share with you various anecdotes about my own totally awesome existence as a musician, composer, journalist, environmentalist, and compassionati. My hope is to connect with you, enlighten you, inspire you and lead you down the path to true happiness. Compassion is always in fashion and it starts with you loving that most important of people, yourself.


July 15, 2011

Just Be, by: Terry Christopher


A man's growth is seen in the successive choirs of his friends.
 

Ralph Waldo Emerson


 


I am thrilled to present this  post by my friend and regular guest blogger Terry Christopher . . . read on my darlings . . . and enjoy!

I saw this quote by Albert Camus and fell in love with it. The quote is “Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend..."

I love how simple and basic it is but so profound at the same time. Its spot on the money for what each of us has experienced at different points in our lives with being a friend and needing a friend. In hindsight, look back on moments in your life when this quote applied to your walk as both the friend in need and the friend in deed.

Since I was a kid, I have always had a deep, deep value, appreciation and high regard for my close friends. I have found that friends are like fine gems with each gem having its own quality, color, cut, clarity and shine. Friends are the opportunity for us to let down the shield in life and be our silly, wacky, wild, insecure, daydreaming selves. Close friends accept and love each other for who they are without judgments, ridicule or doubt.

I also LOVE watching the interactions of my oldest of friends who share my history as I share theirs and seeing how over time they have helped each other through the ups and downs of this life’s journey. We have shared in the painful loss of the death of parents, of the passing of shared friends, the burden and deep rooted fear of serious illness and we have also shared the celebrated triumph of births, marriages, huge job promotions, dream achievements and personal steps that make each of us better people and better friends to each other.

It seems though that new friends are harder to meet, make and keep as we get older. I have often been really surprised by that. I was talking with an amazing dear friend of mine about this a few months back and we agreed that it seems as people go through the maze of this life, they become more and more guarded and less open to making new friends and putting in the effort that it takes to nurture and grow that friendship over time. Friendship takes time, effort and a selfless awareness to be present as the friendship grows. New friends are presented more times than we might know and we may not see them or the opportunity because we may not have that focus.

Friendship is the opportunity to share of ourselves, share our experiences, help give someone insight, support, encouragement while receiving the same in the give and take that is a friendship bond. Embrace your friends and stay open making new ones. Life is a journey to explore in the company of others while learning the lessons of the soul.

Dream. Reach. Live Do.

Terry Christopher

Ro's notes:

Friendship does take" time, effort and a selfless awareness to be present as the friendship grows."   In my blog post Uncluttering Friendships   I speak of a time long ago, where being suddenly single,  I found myself suddenly friendless too, and what an eye opening experience that was!   Developing true and lasting friendships has been a vital and incredible part of my journey these past seventeen years - ever since my awakening . . . and I have met and made some amazing friends under a variety of both ordinary and unique circumstances.  

So venture forth, knowing that I love you and am happy to walk beside you as you continue to live your extraordinary life!  

Love,
Ro

Terry Christopher

Terry, a regular guest blogger for Rousing Rowena, is a New York based, award winning singer-songwriter, and I am a fan of his as well as a friend.   I love his contributions to this blog as they are always from the heart, very positive and extremely inspiring!    For more information about Terry and his music please click on Terry Christopher.



  “Earth: We are all on this thing together.”

No comments: