About Rowena

Hello, my name is Ro, and I believe that it is possible for you to turn your ordinary life into an extraordinary life - to find true happiness, while remaining, selfless, mindful and compassionate towards other living beings. Here at my blog, I interview and post articles by musicians, writers, world travelers, humanitarians and other amazing individuals who are doing just that. I also share with you various anecdotes about my own totally awesome existence as a musician, composer, journalist, environmentalist, and compassionati. My hope is to connect with you, enlighten you, inspire you and lead you down the path to true happiness. Compassion is always in fashion and it starts with you loving that most important of people, yourself.


June 10, 2011

Walking on Sunshine


It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching.

 Francis of Assisi



In my blog post  What Would You Give Up I raised the question what would you be willing to give up just one day a week, in the interest of helping to save our planet?  I provided a number of one day a week options: (1) Go meatless; (2) Go car free; (3) Sacrifice your Bucky's; (4) Drink responsibly; (5) Go natural; and, (6) Disconnect.   I hope you have taken my words to heart and committed to one of these options one day per week.  If you committed to one or more of these ideas, you totally rock!   If you have dabbled, faltered, fallen by the wayside, or otherwise thrown your hands up in frustration after giving it a shot - no worries.  Nobody is perfect - especially not me.  Besides,  I'm not finished with you yet.

Looking back at What Would You Give Up I feel a sense of accomplishment, at having maintained a naturally free wheeling, sacrificially responsible, state of vegan disconnectedness.  I feel a sense of responsibility to my readers as well.   Now that school is out for the summer -  as promised -  I will be kicking it up a notch!  I will be going car free more often during the summer months.  The plan is to walk or ride my bicycle to work as much as is practicable - with the goal being at least twice per week

Having examined good old Rusty - who spent the winter parked on the side yard under a tarp - I noted that some work would be required before she was up and running.  She needs a serious bath, her tires pumped up, and a new seat would be nice.  Last Friday, having solicited a promise from my husband to help me fix the bike, I gave him a kiss goodbye and commenced a pied in the direction of my office.

Commuting to work on foot is not without its concerns, but having forgotten my iPod the first day - I had plenty of time to think and compile a short list or things to remember:

1.  Don't forget your iPod.
  
2.  Allow sufficient time.

3.  Determine the best and safest route.

4.  Travel light.

5.  Wear sunscreen, hat, and sunglasses.  

6.  Stay hydrated.



The pros of walking to work far exceed the cons.   The scenery is lovely - you notice a lot more than when you are whizzing by in your car.  There are lots of cute little bunnies, squirrels, birds and butterflies to see and many beautiful gardens.  Other walkers smile, wave and say good morning.   I arrive at work/home feeling good about myself, having burnt a lot of calories, and getting well over the recommended 10,000 steps a day in.  The sole drawback was the time element involved.  I'm used to taking the time in the morning for exercise, but after a long day at work I really do just want to get home. 

I look forward to getting my bike primed this weekend as it will get me to and from work a lot faster.  I've not given up on walking as an integral part of my plan  - I just want to mix things up a bit, especially on those evenings when I have plans and need to make better time.

Meanwhile, I hope you are making all kinds of great plans for this summer and exploring all of the possibilities that the warm weather brings.  Perhaps you will be planting a garden, kicking back and reading a few goods books, enjoying some good music, taking some time to visit with friends

There are always all kinds of simple happy things to do - and while you are at it don't forget to take some time to dream and to plan your big comeback!  

Now that I am making good on my promise to you, I want you to do something for me.  I want you to go out and live your extraordinary life - knowing that you deserve to be happy, and that it is never too late to reach for the stars.   As my dear friend and regular guest blogger Terry Christopher always says:  Dream.  Reach.  Live.  Do.

Love,
Ro

Ro's notes:   Don't forget to continue to recycle, and to use the power of your spending dollar to make this a better world.   Choose good wood.  You really can make a difference in preserving and protecting the environment.  


No comments: